Friday, September 12, 2008

Adding Texture and Dimension to your Layouts

Hi Everyone!

I like to browse online galleries for inspiration when I am feeling uninspired. It is a sure place to find new techniques, interesting color combinations and fresh designs!

The other day while wandering I got to thinking about what made certain layouts "pop" out to me, while others were good but did not deliver as much "WOW" factor. I decided it was the addition of texture and dimension. My eye always spots and loves layouts with interesting textures and lots of lumpy stuff! My "book of inspiration" overfloweth with these kinds of layouts.

This realization inspired my to create this layout:


I used the new Pink Paislee Vintage Moom (http://www.allyscraps.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Pink+Paislee+vintage+moon) on this layout about my second daughter's bedtime song. (I have sung it to her every night since she was about 6 months old and to this day, at age 6 she still requests it! - so sweet!)



To add dimension to this layout I cut out the owl and branch from the pattern paper and mounted it on chipboard and then cut around it. This method provides more strength than just cutting it out and using pop dots underneath; which you could add to the chipboard for even more dimension!



Then I used the new PP Topsiders border (the black on) to ground the layout on the bottom. The topsiders are the PERFECT way to add dimension (and they are already cut and ready to go, all you have to do is adhere the sticker to the chipboard and viola!)



To add dimension and texture to the big stars I hand sewed some gold bugle beads around the border (see, those bead sitting in your stash do have a use!). I used stickles around the smaller ones to add some dimension to them as well.



Now, that still wasn't enough for my dimensional eye, so I went further and added texutre to my title block and TopSider border by running an embroidery stitch along the edge of each.



These are all simple and inexpensive ways to add dimension and texture to your layouts which is sure to make people oh and ah over them!



I cannot wait to see "your" layouts with texture and dimension!



(If you have one to share please post a link to it here in the comments section.. you never know, I might have something special for a poster!)



Oh.. and btw.. BINGO is going to start this weekend on the AllyScraps Message Board! Head over and purchase your ticket and get ready to play! You could win an awesome gift certificate!



Bye for now!



Trish

1 comment:

Raechelle Bellus said...

What a sweet layout! I love the dimension and stitching. :)