Sunday, March 22, 2009

Ribbon storage idea






Do you have an over abundance of ribbon? Do you struggle with creative and space saving ways to store it? Do you forget what you have on hand? If you answered yes to any of these, then you my friend are in luck. I found an inexpensive and easy way to store my ribbon, where I can see what I have and it doesn't take up precious storage space on my shelves. I'll be honest, at first when I tried this I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, however after having it up for a week and being able to quickly look through my ribbon, I have come to really like having it hanging beside my work space. What used to take several minutes, now takes just seconds and I am not left with a mess of ribbon to clean up.

What you need:
-an embroidery hoop (I used a large one that I had on hand, but any size will do. If you have a lot of long ribbon strips, then I suggest using a large hoop.)
- 4 pieces of twine (or ribbon) about 12" in length (depending on how high or low you want this to hang you will need to adjust the length accordingly)
- your long ribbon strips
- about an hour of time

How to:
This is very simple. All you need to do is tie each piece of 12" twine onto the emroidery hoop in 4 equal spaces. If you view it like a clock they would tie at 12, 3, 6 and 9.
Once you have tied them all to the hoop, gather them all at the top and tie into a knot, forming a loop in which to hang it by. Once this is done, hang it and tie the ribbon pieces over the hoop by looping them through so you can easily remove them. (I did mine according to pattern and style.)

That's it. :)




4 comments:

Jess said...

great idea!

Unknown said...

That's cute Rae!

DomesticDivasFancy said...

Very cute Idea...that would probably work better for my scrap ribbon than digging pieces out of a jar. Thanks

Katarina said...

This is great. THANK YOU! One of my unsolved problems in my craftarea have been ribbons, so thank you again.